Canine Neighbors

On a recent morning walk with my dog, Rocco, I ran into a friendly neighbor.
“He’s been voted one of the cutest dogs in the neighborhood,” she said to me.
“Thanks,” I reply.
“Hi Rocco, how are you? You’re such a cute dog,” as she pets his head.
“He’s a crazy puppy,” I reply jokingly. “He has more energy then I do.”
The small talk continues as she asks me various questions about the dog, his breed, age, etc.

Now, I don’t mind chatting with the neighbors and it’s good to know people are generally friendly and enjoy pets. Except there is one thing that bothers me…she knows my dog’s name, so obviously we’ve met before… but I don’t think she knows my name. And I don’t know her name either.

As I’ve lived in this area now for almost two years, I’ve noticed this is a common trait among the neighborhood. People who are out with their dogs on a regular basis get to know each other….or should I say each dog.

So, I’ve met several dogs in the neighborhood, and only recognize the owners by their dogs. There is Angus, Reilly, Haley, Laz, and Kasper who are regulars on my walking route. The names of the people walking them??? I have no idea! Granted, it’s my fault too for not introducing myself either; but I suddenly feel unimportant once the dogs are introduced. I guess it really is a dog’s world.

Thinking back, I’ve never really met any of my neighbors until I got a dog. Rocco is a conversation starter and people will stop to greet him and say hello. However, in some ways I still don’t feel like I’ve met any of my human neighbors. But at least Rocco has met his canine neighbors!