Every dog (and cat) tells a story

When I think about each one of my pets, I think about the stories of how they came to be a part of my life. I suspect that's how most people think about their pets. My pets are also "silent historians," charting my life's ups and downs by virtue of their presence with me through those times. For example, my parrot, Quincy, has been through several moves and even went with me to Colorado for four months when I was a graduate student. Even though I was far away from my dog, Hobo (whom I missed terribly), Quincy added a touch of home to my surroundings and provided the companionship I needed. It was a special time in both our lives.
Hospice patients are in a unique position when it comes to relating to their pets. Many of them have been through long and difficult treatments and surgeries, medication changes and an emotional rollercoaster of grief and loss. Others have found their lives shattered suddenly by a terminal diagnosis or another failed treatment. Still others have progressed to the point of acceptance and reflection as their lives wind down to the end. Their pets have been faithful companions on this journey, never judging or complaining as their own lives have been impacted by the loss of routine and, oftentimes, the lack of consistent care or diet. They continue to silently keep watch over them, offering their companionship and trust, no matter what happens. I recently asked a patient what his dogs meant to him, as he continues to battle ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). He said to me, simply, "They're my life!" Indeed, they are.