Great Dog Breed Awards

So many different breeds of dogs! In addition to the classic AKC The Complete Dog Book, I've been enjoying my new book, Smithsonian Handbook Dogs, where I've been learning about more breeds I never knew existed. I'd love to meet them all. In honor of all these fascinating dogs, I've created my own awards. Feel free to add your own nominations, and your own categories too!

Best Ears: I can't decide if I prefer really big ears sticking up (Papillion), or really long ears hanging down (Basset Hound, Bloodhound, Saluki). What kind of ears do you like?

Best Hairdo: Gotta go to the Komondor. To see those dreds is to believe them! (photo above, from Animali d'Affezione)

Best teddy bear impression: Bichon Frise


Best sheep impression: Bedlington Terrier

Most specific breed name: Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

So homely it's cute: Neapolitan Mastiff (picture, left from Pets' Place.)

Purebred dogs that look my Heinz-57 mixed breed mutt: Lowchen, Spinone, Airedale Terrier, and Otter Hound.


So what do you think? Tell me about your favorite breeds, and what awards they'd win!