Pets Provide a Feeling of Thanksgiving Every Day

By Suzanne Alicie

One of my favorite traditions of Thanksgiving is the practice of choosing something each day from November 1 through the holiday to be thankful for. This allows me to devote a few minutes each day to be appreciative of all the blessings in my life. Pet owners often get this little nudge of feeling how blessed we are all throughout the year as we interact and enjoy the pets that are part of our families. When you look back at the year, you will find that many of your most precious memories include your pets.

While you may not think of your pets when you sit down at the holiday table with family and friends, there are definitely many reasons to be thankful for your pets. Now, I am a cat lover and can think of several wonderful ways that cats make life better each and every day of the year. But I am also a dog owner, so my list of reasons to be thankful relates more to our canine friends. There are also other types of pets that enrich our lives – and whether we enjoy watching the fish swim in and out of their little castle or giggle at the hamster spinning in his little wheel, all pets provide a pleasing presence to their owners’ lives.

This Thanksgiving, why not take a few moments to think about why you are thankful for your pet, not just on this day but all year round.

I am thankful for the comforting sight of my dog curled up in a big fluffy ball beside me while I work. I am thankful for cold noses and warm fur. I am thankful for unconditional love and warm brown eyes. I am thankful for the laughter and fun that our dog brings to our family. I am thankful for the protective and loving presence of my dog that lets me know every time someone walks down “her” street, no matter how annoying it is at 6 in the morning. I am thankful for the feeling that when the world has stomped me underfoot, there is one creature that is happy to see me no matter what. I am thankful for our dog that has helped me teach my children compassion and respect for animals.

While we only have one dog in our home now, I have to also be thankful for the years we had with our beautiful and wonderful Chaos who we lost to cancer this year. The personality and presence of our beloved dog sticks with our family and continues to affect us all even though she’s been gone for a few months. It warms my heart to know that my children remember her as fondly as we do, and that they miss her as well. The tears that spring to my eyes when I think of her will always remind me to cherish every moment with those I love because at any time I could lose them.

So when you are taking the time to list all the things you are thankful for this Thanksgiving season, be sure to include your pets. They make such a huge difference in the quality of your life and will be your faithful and loving companions as long as they are able.  If you feel like sharing why you are thankful for your pet, leave a comment below – we would love to know how your life is made better by having a pet.

From all of us at the CANIDAE RPO blog, we wish you and your pets a Happy Thanksgiving!

Photo: Bear and Bryan

Read more articles by Suzanne Alicie