A Trip to the Pet Store

There's something exciting about going to the pet store. Especially one where you feel that the pets are well cared for and you would have no problem taking them home. It's like going to a mini zoo only you can actually take these pets home with you!

Our local store always has a wide range of puppies. Now I know the arguements of adopting a dog versus buying, but that's another topic for another day.

There is always a feeling of anticipation when I go to the pet store. It's like I can't wait to see the new animals that this store has to offer. First, I go to the reptile section. Now, there is no way I can handle a reptile with my dog and fish, but it's always fun to look at the variety of reptiles and geckos that are available.

Next, it's off to the bird section. Lots of colors and noises. There are plenty I want to take home, but then I think back to the last time I had a bird, the noise he made all night, and the mess he always left me. Then, I think about how playful my dog can be...one mistake on my part and that bird will be his newest toy.

So, I move along to the puppy section. With all the new "designer" cross-bred dogs, it's fun to see what will be in store. A Have-a-poo sounds nothing like a dog breed, but I play with this Havenese poodle mix just the same.

After my wife and I wish we could take every dog home, I move on to the aquarium area. Hmm...new fish I've never seen....I wonder if it's compatible with the fish in my aquarium....now where's that fish manager, I have questions. But don't I alreay have enough fish in my tank? And this internal fight goes back and forth in my mind until I talk myself into either buying another fishy friend, or leaving for another hobbyest to enjoy.

By this time, I've pretty much been through the entire store. It seems like every visit ends the same way -- I have to stop myself from buying every animal in the store, while trying to decide which new "premium" treat to buy my dog, and what type of high quality fish food I want to try for my aquatic pets. I always yell at myself for spending too much on my pets, for feeding them better food then I feed myself, and walk out of the store wondering how I can save money the next time.

Yup, it always ends the same way, but yet I look forward to the next visit.