Mommy Blogs Rule!

Working full time as a freelance writer, submitting articles to countless agents and editors, and hoping they will print my words in their media gave me cause to pause recently when I read about Heather Armstrong's mommy blog, Dooce . This 32-year old mom made it big by writing whatever she wants about her life, family and dog, posting it on her own blog, and garnering more than 4 million page views per month!

I'm not even sure if my own mother reads my blog.

A great entry on the blog Scribbit was brought to my attention, extolling the virtues of mommy blogs. The author points out five benefits of blogging for moms. Here's my take on them.

1. Moms can blog at home

My kids are grown up now and don't really need me at home, but that doesn't mean I don't like to be here when my son comes home from school or baseball practice to ask him about his day. Plus, I love sitting around in my pj's til noon, walking the dog when I need a break, and throwing in a load of laundry between assignments.

2. Moms need the social connection

Working from home gets very isolating. I belong to several online writer's groups to share about our careers. And now I can blog with other work from home moms, dieters, dog lovers, or anyone who craves social interaction with a complete stranger! (So c'mon, leave me a comment! Mom, are you out there?!!)

3. Moms have a wealth of material

I'm not sure I would call my life experiences a wealth of material (more like a dwindling bank account), but sometimes even the mundane topic of favorite ice cream flavors (caramel soft serve!), or what Kelly dragged in from the garden (dead snake) strike a chord with a reader.

4. Moms are record keepers

I love keeping lists. I recently discovered an old yellow legal pad with a record of Kate's first words and the ages at which she said them, and if necessary, what they meant (roe roes = Cheerios, la la berry = library, and when she got a little older, potholder= pot hole, woodpecker= beaver. Figure it out!)

5. Mom blogs wield economic power

When another Mom tells me something she purchased that was handy, economical, convenient or beautiful, I'm there. And I can share it on my blog to alert interested readers, too. Here's one for ya: Laini's Ladies Adornments. Adorable angelic decorations, Laini's Ladies adornments are approximately 9" tall glossy paperboard with beads, wire, ribbons and whimsical sayings. You can hang them anywhere, and there's one for any passion: The Muse of Chocolate, cats, coffee, gardening, dance, books, children, etc.