"Max" and Mr. Brown update

Yesterday, a hospice volunteer and I took "Max" to the vet for an evaluation. When we came to pick him up, Mr. Brown did a good job of being brave until we were ready to leave. Then, gnarled hands reached for the old dog's head, rubbing it and petting it over and over as if to reassure them both. Max, who only weighs 32 pounds, came with us willingly on his leash, a bit confused about who we were, but glad to go for a ride in the car.
The clinic reception area was chaotic, with people dropping off animals for grooming and the staff in a rush to get patients seen before the doctor went into surgery. We ended up reluctantly dropping Max off to make it easier for them and to allow me to get back to work. They promised to call me after the exam, but it would be late in the day before I knew the results. Several of the staff members came to my office to inquire about Max. Did I know anything yet? No. not yet.
When the doctor finally called, we talked about several of Max's problems, but my heart leaped when she said she thought he was treatable and that we could make him more comfortable with medication. We came up with a formulation that Max would eat like a treat. We agreed that it might be a good idea to "put Max on hospice" with Mr. Brown, so we could all be involved in his care.
I wish I could describe the scene when we walked in the door with Max, clean and brushed. The old dog walked straight to his master of 15 years, wagging his bob tail. The look of relief on Mr. Brown's face was priceless as he petted his old friend. He couldn't thank us enough for taking care of his dog and for all the things that Hospice of Green Country had done for him. As I left his home, I realized how relieved I was, too.