Is a Digital Dog Mag for You?

Is it time to change our definition of "magazine"? I like to think of a magazine as pages of print bound with a glossy cover, able to be stacked in a pile, stuffed in a tote bag, folded or spindled. Read while sprawled across couch, in the passenger seat of a car or on crowded commuter train. Held in one hand while the other hand remains free for turning pages, folding down corners or ripping out recipes and interesting articles.

Recently, however, I discovered a fully digital version of K-9 magazine. You can get a free issue too. I found it easy to navigate, user-friendly and quick responding. The two-page spread on my monitor revealed an image similar to the type of magazine with which we are all familiar. With the click of a button I could turn the pages, with a satisfying page flipping sound effect.

A recent issue covered a wide variety of helpful dog-related topics such as Pet-friendly hotels, canine CPR, dogs for adoption, and healthy food and play ideas. Audio, video and interactive features added to the content.

One negative: I was distracted by the background music, which (at the risk of sounding old) was too loud with an annoying techno beat. There must be a way to turn it off, I'll have to check.

There are many benefits to the digital magazine. It's handy, it won't clutter up my coffee table or take up room in the landfill when I'm done. It's easy to enter contests or search additional information. It's bright and attractive. I'm just still trying to get used to the new concept. Since I work in front of a computer all day, I don't know if I want to spend my leisure time there too.

What are your thoughts?