Great Gifts for Pet Lovers


By Anna Lee

Gift giving is something we do all year long whether for a birthday or Christmas, a thank you gift or a get well gift. Many of the gifts we buy are given to pet lovers such as ourselves. Instead of giving that pet lover a box of candy or a bouquet of flowers, why not give them something more near and dear to their heart?

If your friend has an Akita or a Cocker, a Black Lab or a German Short Haired Pointer, why not give them a beautiful sand-cast figurine of their particular dog. Figurines last a long time and can be used on a mantel, a bookcase or as a table decoration.

The website Remmeer has a variety of unique gifts for the cat lover on your list. I found photo frames, books, DVDs, wallets, totes and a whole lot more. For example, a tri-fold faux leather wallet with a kitty appliqué on the front is only $21.96. It is very colorful, and any female cat lover would enjoy owning it. They also have garden stepping stones and even salt and pepper shakers. For dog lovers, I saw adorable wall clocks and rugs for around $30. They are brightly colored and different from other clocks and placemats I have seen.

An idea I have used in the past is to buy a Christmas stocking for the dog lover on my list. I then purchase small items such as toys, shampoo or a name ID tag to put in the stocking. If I want to spend a little more, I sometimes add a gift certificate to a pet store. You might also consider putting in a homemade certificate good for one free weekend of dog sitting, which is a gift every dog lover would appreciate.

Most retail stores sell pet related items, so it is not necessary to have Internet access to buy gifts for pet lovers. You can find dog-themed note paper and stationary at most card stores. Check the computer section where they sell supplies and you will find mouse pads with dogs or cats on them. I have seen purses featuring dogs and cats in several stores. You can buy clothing items such as sweaters, blouses, scarves and socks emblazoned with a dog or cat somewhere on the item.

A book about the person’s favorite pet is a great gift for an animal lover. Maybe a magazine subscription would be appropriate? There are sheets, pillowcases and towels with either dogs or cats. My sister-in-law gives me a “Labs Only” calendar every year – it means a lot to me because she realizes how much I love my dog. There are calendars available with virtually any animal you can think of.

All you need is a little imagination and a few dollars, and you can come up with the perfect gift for a pet lover. Whether the recipient loves dogs, cats, horses, hamsters, bunnies or pigs, there are gifts available that will fit the bill!

Read more articles by Anna Lee