5 Reasons to Love a Cat

This blog is heavily dog-centered, but I've met many wonderful cat people here too. Although I don't have a cat now, I've shared my home with cats in the past; my family's first cat, Maria, and an especially tolerant calico, Henrietta. I loved her because she played with me and my brothers; she enjoyed taking a ride in our spinning recliner chair, and we happily obliged. I don’t think my dog Kelly would tolerate that!

Last year I asked friends and family why they love their cat. This column initially ran on Guideposts.com in June, 2009.

Here are five people sharing reasons why they love their cats:

1. Kate of Virginia, owner of Cinnamon (red Tortie/Tabby, left) always thought she was a dog person, but thinks her kitten Cini-Mini is purr-fect at keeping her company. “When I’m sitting on the sofa reading, she’ll jump up on my lap and cuddle,” says Kate. Cinnamon is also entertaining because she loves to play. She flips over a fluffy white feather on a stick.

2. Dennis of Idaho, owner of Susie (cream and gray Domestic Shorthair) and Duke (apricot Tabby) says one reason he loves cats is because they consider themselves equal to people. He finds one of their charms is how "bossy" they can be towards people. “Even if you are still sleeping, a cat desiring breakfast is not to be denied.” Dennis’ cats will get up on the bed and put their paws on his cheek or his nose until he gets the message.

3. Judy of Vermont, owner of Pipsqueak (striped Tabby) loves cats because they love you back unconditionally and are good conversationalists. Pip talks to her in her little squeaks. “She carries on quite a conversation,” says Judy. When asked what Pipsqueak might be saying, Judy surmises: “ I’d rather be watching birdies but I know you need me on your lap right now.”

4. Mary Beth of New York, owner of Deirdre (calico Tabby), Archie (Tabby with white chest and boots) and Erasmus (Tabby) states the best thing about cats is that they act like cats all the time, and love you as cats. They’re affectionate if you know how they show it. Mary Beth’s kitties show her love by head-butting her, and “whispering purry things” in her ears.

5. Cees of Amsterdam, Holland, owner of Mickey (black and white European Shorthair) comments, “A cat will give you a feeling (s)he needs and loves you - while looking perfectly as if (s)he doesn't need anybody in the world at all.” When Cees arrived home from vacation, the very first greeting he received was from his cat, sitting by the front door in the hallway. “Much quicker than my son and daughter arrived to greet me,” he adds!

Why do you love your cat?