Pets and Spirituality

Sometimes people ask me about my views on pets and spirituality. Most of the time, those who ask me are people who have been taught by a spiritual authority that pets "don't have souls," or "don't go to heaven." These people are troubled by the conflict between their feelings and beliefs and what others have determined are "right" or "wrong" ways to interpret sacred texts or teachings. In my opinion, pets represent so much of what we need as spiritual and emotional beings. Pets demonstrate the things we long for in our relationships with others--acceptance, faithfulness, unconditional love and companionship, to name just a few. When we are able to rest for a moment and fully enjoy our pets and all they have to offer, there is the potential for us to be encouraged and uplifted, even the potential for spiritual healing. Just ask the inmates who work with shelter dogs to train them and make them adoptable for another family. Ask the troubled adolescents working with untamed young horses. When there is mutual trust, we can love animals in return, knowing we will never be rejected for how we look, what we say or for our imperfections. Does that really need to be analyzed, judged or deemed right or wrong? I don't think so.
As for what I believe, if there is indeed a place where perfect love and harmony exist beyond this life and if that place is a place where I will be content and at peace forever, then I believe my pets will be there. Until the time comes when I experience death, I hope to love and appreciate all that my animal companions have to offer here. Moreso, if I can model the same acceptance and faithfulness in my human relationships that I experience with my pets, then I am a better person for it. Even if the only thing that changes is how I live my present life--more in the moment, savoring the joy of companionship and friendship as it happens, then that's enough for me.