Baby's Day at the Beauty Salon

Mrs. R, "Baby" and Nurse Kim
Have you ever found yourself needing a change in outlook, or maybe a change in perspective? Hospice patients are no different. Sometimes a patient's time on hospice contains seasons of depression, discouragement or downright boredom. Some days are good and they feel like doing things, or going places, while other days are a struggle. Like the rest of us, patients need the support and encouragement of family and friends for those days when things aren't going so well.

Our story this month comes from Hospice of North Central Oklahoma. PPOM Coordinator Melanie Wright tells the story:

"Mrs. R. has a small elderly white poodle named Baby. The patient is very attached to the dog and thinks of her as family--they have been together many years. Baby needed a grooming visit, so I asked the patient's daughter for information. When I called the dog's long-time groomer, he loved hearing about Pet Peace of Mind and he wanted to help. On the morning of the appointment, I called the patient's home. Her daughter said that Mrs. R. had a very rough night and wasn't doing very well. The hospice nurse confirmed to me that she thought the patient was declining. With the caregiver's permission, I came by to pick up Baby and took her to the groomer for the day. The patient woke later that morning and asked for her dog. She was told about Baby's trip to the groomer. The patient began to rouse and said, "Well, then, I need to go get my hair done, too!" Later that afternoon, I picked up Baby. She was transformed-- beautiful, with bows in her ears. The groomer refused to charge for his services. I invited the hospice nurse to meet me at the house to see the patient's reaction. When I came in, the patient was dressed and sitting in her recliner with her arms held out to take her dog. It was a very emotional setting for us all, witnessing the two old friends greet each other with joy." 

Pet Peace of Mind is about keeping old friends together--through the good times and the hard times.