Fun Songs for Dog Lovers

By Tamara L. Waters

Sure you love your dog, but how about go another step and create your own play list of songs that make you think of your canine buddy? Take a listen to these 13 tunes that are about dogs or make you think about dogs – for the dog lover in you.

Atomic Dog - George Clinton. This song will get you and your puppies moving while you get your funk on. You can't sit still when "Atomic Dog" starts playing.

Hound Dog - Elvis Presley. The King of Rock and Roll sang this great cover song, and it's a classic. I'll bet you knew it would be on this list!


Who Let the Dogs Out? - Baha Men. Who can resist this catchy tune that was heard everywhere – and I mean EVERYWHERE – when it was released in 2000. Even if you don't know all the words and verses, I'll bet you know the chorus to this one.

Snoopy vs. the Red Baron - The Royal Guardsmen. This particular doggy song brings back memories for me. As a child in the late seventies, I had an old 45 record of this song that had belonged to my dad and my brother, and I used to listen to it all the time. We definitely knew the song about Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel, fighting that Red Baron!

Puppy Love - Donny Osmond. Yep, it's young Donny Osmond in his pre-pubescent voice singing all about puppy love.

Scooby-Doo Theme Song. What song list for dog lovers would be complete without including the most famous mystery-solving dog's theme song? Scooby-Doo, really, where are you?

I Love My Dog - Cat Stevens. His name might have been Cat, but this singer really loved his dog and he sang this great song which says it all.

How Much is That Doggie in the Window - Patti Page. This song is a classic and may be one of the first songs I learned in grade school music class (complete with barking sound effects!).

Big Dog – Akon. This song, from the Disney movie "The Shaggy Dog," is plenty of fun (and the movie was too!).

The Chihuahua Song. This is just a cute and fun song that I found on YouTube. Even if you don't like these little dogs, you'll get a kick out of the song that goes "Cha cha cha Chihuahua!"

I Think I Might Be a Dog - Daddy a Go Go. This song is a humorous dog's view of life and is full of funny lines and catchy tunes for all ages.

Dog-Gone It Baby I'm in Love - Carl Smith. This country song from 1954 is a catchy tune about being in love with somebody – dog-gone it!

Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone. This song, like "How Much is That Doggie in the Window," was one that I learned early on. I believe I first learned this in a book of nursery rhymes, and there are several versions of the song available on YouTube. Pining for your lost dog – isn't that the way it works with those of us who love dogs? We miss them when they are gone and if they get lost, we anxiously wait for their return.

Create a play list using some of these suggestions, or search and put together your own favorite songs about dogs. You'll howl with pleasure (yeah, I know, really bad pun)!

Photo by Kristina Rogova

Read more articles by Tamara L. Waters