Goodbye "Mr. Brown"


For those of you following this blog, you may have read my posts about "Mr. Brown" and "Max" the dog. You may have also seen the photos of me with them in the Sunday Tulsa World a couple of weeks ago. It is with mixed feelings that I share with you that "Mr. Brown," alias "Buddy" Springer (as printed in the World), passed away this week. He was at Clarehouse, a wonderful hospice home here in Tulsa and I couldn't have asked for a better place for him to spend his last days. His dog, Max, is with a family member and his dog companion Tahoe, and as far as I know, will stay there for the remainder of his life.

"Buddy" was gruff and outspoken at times, but underneath his crusty exterior lay a tender heart that had been deeply touched by the loss of a wife and his only child many years ago. He was ready to leave this world and ready to be free of the sickness that kept him from doing the things he loved. I am so glad he didn't have to suffer the loss of his faithful dog while he was facing his own mortality. This photo was taken when I brought Max back from the veterinarian after he was treated for arthritis and flea allergy. Buddy didn't know if Max would be coming back with me or not, as he had instructed me to have Max euthanized if the vet recommended it. Instead, this photo captures his relief and the patient and adoring love of his trusted companion. If you look closely, you will see that Max is smiling. This photo will always be one of my favorites.

Thank you for making it possible to help people like Buddy and dogs like Max.