Fun Songs for Cat Lovers

By Julia Williams

When we posted Fun Songs for Dog Lovers a few weeks ago, some kitties got their knickers twisted because they were feeling left out. How dare we compile a list of must-listen songs about dogs, yet not mention any songs about cats. Well...okay, I lied. Everyone knows kitties don’t wear knickers so they can’t very well get them twisted. But some feline fanatics did want to see a list of cat songs. Never one to deny the kitties their due, herewith I present a few of my favorite songs about cats. Enjoy!

Kitty Cat Dance is one of the funniest videos I have ever seen. It’s a compilation of great cat photos and video snippets, accompanied by a “song” that basically consists of “Cat. I'm a kitty cat, and I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance” followed by “Cat. I'm a kitty cat, and I meow meow meow, and I meow meow meow.” There are quite a few different versions of this song on Youtube, but I think (not 100% sure) the original one was Kitty Cat Song by Steve Ibsen. It’s also very amusing, but in my opinion the Kitty Cat Dance video is better. Another version I like is Cat, I’m a Kitty Cat. It doesn’t really matter to me who made the first one – they’re all funny, and I laugh my butt off every time I watch them.

I Love the Cat Life is another hilarious gem of a song about cats that I like to watch when I need a little laugh pick-me-up. Cat lovers will surely see the humor in the video of the naughty kitty doing things like scratching on the brand new couch. I crack up when the cute cat sings “I make you feed me, when I go Meoooooow, Meow…” and “I love the cat life, cuz’ when it’s raining you make the dog stay out.”


Psycho Kitty is a catchy little ditty about cats that anyone who has a “Jekyll & Hyde” feline will appreciate. You know – those cats that are all sweet and innocent one minute and go all nuts on you the next. I think the lyrics were taken from real life because I know a few cats that this fits to a T: “I look like an innocent kitty cat. But let me tell you I can change like that.”

The “Smelly Cat” song from Friends. The character of Phoebe Buffay (played by Lisa Kudrow) wrote and performed this silly song about a smelly yet lovable cat. Yeah, it’s kind of dumb, but it’s funny and it’s a classic, especially for fans of the Friends sitcom.

What's New Pussycat?” by Tom Jones, was originally released in 1965. This version on Youtube features cute pictures of cats and kittens along with the lyrics, which include “Pussycat, Pussycat, I love you. Yes I do!  You and your pussycat lips! You and your pussycat eyes! You and your pussycat nose!” Catchy song, adorable cats – how could it not completely slay you?

How I Love My Kitty is a short, cute song about cats. It’s primarily for kids, but if you love cats, this song will make you smile.

Okay, so this list of fun songs about cats barely scratches the surface of all that are out there. Youtube is a veritable treasure trove of cute cat songs, and one could spend hours watching them while you are actually supposed to be working. Not that anyone I know (cough, cough) would do such a thing!

If you have some favorite songs about cats that I didn’t mention, please give them a meow out in the comments.

Read more articles by Julia Williams